Series: #38 in Sweet Valley High

Elizabeth has decided that she wants to go to boarding school in Switzerland more than she's ever wanted anything. Her entire family is upset, but she goes ahead with her plans for a scholarship. Can Jessica, Stephen and the whole gang pursuade her that she'd be much happier at home? (from Goodreads)

Leaving Home is set around Elizabeth Wakefield’s desperation to get a scholarship to a Switzerland boarding school for a creative writing course that starts the summer after her junior year and ends at graduation her senior year. It’s all she can talk about and eventually everyone and their mother (including the Wakefield’s mother, Alice) are sick of it, her twin sister Jessica especially. And to be honest, there were a few times I wanted to slap Elizabeth. For example, her thought process at one point was basically, “Jeffrey’s and my relationship will work out. It will be nothing like Todd and me, who just moved across the country whereas I want to move across the world” or “When I get to Switzerland I want to meet a cute boy, but I also want Jeffrey to stay devoted to me and only me.” Stuff like that. It was just really out of character for her. But as much as Liz bothered me, Jessica and Steven really took the cake with their charade. It was too cruel. But then if the Sweet Valley High books have taught me anything, it’s that Jessica will stop at nothing to get her own, stopping nothing short of murder.

The subplot featured Winston Egbert, my favourite character. Winston lost his jacket and accidentally took home a poor (literally poor, not just sad) man’s jacket. And in the pocket he finds a lottery ticket (which he had one in his pocket as well). Anyway, this is a winning lottery ticket and Winston spends the rest of the book at war with himself about whether to give the ticket to the man or keep the money for himself.

The set up for the next book features an idea by Lynne Henry for a personals column in the newspaper, The Oracle. What will happen? What chaos could this cause? Find out in the next book, Secret Admirers.