Series: #39 in Sweet Valley High

A little too personal...

Sweet Valley High is in a frenzy when the school newspaper begins to run personal ads. Even Penny Ayala, the shy, serious editor of the paper, decides to place an ad, and a boy named Jamie responds. His letters are witty and sensitive just like hers, and he seems to be Penny's perfect match.

Elizabeth Wakefield encourages Penny to pursue her secret admirer. But when she overhears a group of boys laughing about "Jamie," she realizes that Penny's perfect match is only a joke - "Jamie" doesn't even exist! Can she stop the boys from breaking Penny's heart? (from Goodreads)

I relate to Penny Ayala more than any other Sweet Valley High character. For example, she'd rather read than go to a dance and wears comfortable clothes and no makeup. Wow, that describes me to a T. And even more than relating to her personally, this story more or less actually happened to me. Both of us were set up at our school for secret admirer notes used to humiliate us. Except that she got a boyfriend out of it and I'm still single and that was almost ten years ago.

The subplot features Jessica Wakefield and Lila Fowler as they use the personal ads as a competition to see who can get the cutest date. The end results are hilarious.

The set up for the next book comes through Regina Morrow as she worries about Bruce Patman not showing up to the dance, instead working on a project with Amy Sutton. And she starts to wonder, is it more than just a project...